Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Monkey Attack!


One thing I love about India is the amount of entertainment one can receive without ever leaving home. Yesterday for example... After yoga, just as Aeryk and I were sitting down for a little rest, snarls and squeals called us to the window. A troupe of monkeys were laying siege to the house, swinging off the coconut trees and on to our balconies and roof to steal the vegetables growing on the roof garden. Our landlady's dog Ruby was incenced, barking and running up and down the stairs trying to catch them. They growled and laughed at her, making their way back to the trees vegetables in paw. This continued all day, as long as the good food lasted, these monkeys had moved into the neighborhood.

A little later in the day, I was called to the window again by a very festive drumming procession. In this case I was witnessing an Indian funeral procession. I hope when I die my friends will send me off so well. The deceased sits enthroned in a portable pavilion of flowers, carried all around the neighborhood so that all can know about the passing. Men drumming take the lead, then the deceased, then more family and friends, and if one is well loved, lots of weeping women.

Every day in India there are sounds and rituals. At five every morning there is the Islamic call to prayer to enjoy with my coffee. There is wondrous drumming daily at the Ganapati (Ganesha) Temple in view from my roof. And as the monkeys demonstrate, even if you try to hang back or lie low, the action in India comes right to your door.

Vivian

No comments: