Tuesday, November 4, 2008

At home in Gokulam

Here I am, happy and warm in Mysore. This picture shows the stairs to my apartment, upstairs in a three part house. Our place is the closest to the roof so I can stand up in the coconut trees and watch everything going on in the neighborhood.

The prevailing theme of my first two weeks in India is change, changes around me and changes in me.
When we first arrived in Bangalore I thought for a moment I had come to the wrong India. The airport is brand new, fancy, and clean - so completely different from the bustling chaotic dingy airport I expected to see.

Much has changed in Gokulam since we were here last, 20 months ago. The pigs that used to own the streets have mysteriously disappeared, as have most of the street dogs, and street children. The neighborhood seems quieter and cleaner. That being said, we showed up right in the middle of Diwali festival -, several days of celebrating, mostly with loud firecrackers and mini explosions.

Other than obvious external changes, coming back is showing me how deeply I have changed in the last couple of years. I am so much more relaxed here than I remembered from before. Joining into the flow of India seems so natural. All the scents, even the unpleasant ones, have some nostalgic appeal, so everything I experience I am greeting with happiness. Sleep comes easily, the crazy night sounds just flow over and around me.

I know I told everyone I needed to return to India to study yoga. Now I am accepting the truth - I came to eat fruit!

Vivian




No comments: