Sunday, November 30, 2008

Hassan Montage



Hassan Montage

Retrospective windmills chased down,
Future power now- a hillside of forest turned to energy.
The journey's start: a series of double-takes and backtracks, three trips before the train, third destination settled on hours before departure.

Who am I when I have lost my way?

Heading out in the rain without a coat without a hat without boots--- who packed my bags?
Truck-stop industrial, one-park, one market, one bus station, walk in mud and grime and...
Hotel Sri Krishna provides.
Hassan welcomes with food and shelter for the night.
Now with TV-
Now with weather reports of storms-
Now storms bring terrors from the Seas on both coasts-
Cyclones and floods to the East
Gunfire and grenades in the West

Daytime provides glimpses
Of struggle and salvation
The stares turn to leers turn to points turn to laughs
And I turn away
Again I feel alone on the packed street
Find my strength in my own gaze

Crow curbside found a feast in a mouse
Tattered red dress barely contains the five year old
She takes the banana offered
Across the street- old woman
Gaping mouth draws flies is she still yet alive?

Two days almost two too long
Chance to turn the tide
Chance to change the weather
Searching for a signpost
Best Information Center in the book
Kannada speaking clerk offers the seats and hands the phone
Manager gives little English only and doesn't help

And the true purpose of the trip seems so far away
Trying to get out of town
Trying to find the way
Twenty busses twenty signs no English but plenty of stares
Ask five people and the answer becomes tenfold

Salvation!
Three busses, nine coffees, eleven temples
Redemption in the rain
Cleansed by Fire and Water
Purified in Air and on Stone
I found Spirit along the way

50-cent train delivers, but be quick!
Two minutes only to get on or off
Waiting to become human luggage again
Tattoo becomes testament, interaction, symbol of will
Now accepted enough,
For hours I ride lotus in a standing-room-only crowd

Mysore is green, I am home

--- aeryk ---

No comments: