Saturday, October 22, 2011

First Week Shala Report



The opening week of Shala season always begins with a week of primary series for all students.   Boring for some, relieving for others, and of course, making no difference for new students who will practice only primary for their first month in any case...if they even make it all the way through. 

For us, I think it has been an opportunity to acclimate physically and mentally back to life in India.  There are always plenty of opportunities for frustration just getting life set up here - if you are inclined to frustration.  Otherwise lots of opportunity to practice an easy going relaxed attitude while some of your basic life needs waver occasionally into doubt.  No running water today?  Well, I'm sure there will be someone along to fix that by the time I need to shower tomorrow.  No power?  The "fellow" is at festival right now according to my landlord.  He will fix "the current" when he gets back, no need to worry about when.  I have a headlamp.  Drinking water delivery can't be reached...and the public phone eats all my rupee coins? No problem, Aeryk will carry jugs to a store and drive some water home by rikshaw.  Drink a coconut for now. 

Primary series fits in well with jet lag, muscles cramped from long plane rides, and life's little challenges.  Just pick up, jump back, jump through, inhale, exhale.  If something doesn't come out according to plan, no problem -vinyasa is coming, a wave to ride you past your small troubles. 

Sharath started the whole Shala on three days of led class, two Mysore style primary series, and back to led again.  Also, happily, he has added a late morning chanting class for all students with enough time for breakfast and a nap.  We will start next week with one more day of led Primary, and then we will all be set off to our own prescribed practice.  I hope I can still backbend....but if I can't I'm sure I will find my way in time.

Vivian


No comments: