Saturday, December 20, 2008

In Motion




All India is always in motion. People won't stand still, cows won't stop chewing, scooters certainly won't pause for the camera. Once in a while the world slows to a near-halt for a moment, and if I'm lucky enough you get to see a bit of the magic I see daily. I love the way those cows were in a tighter step than the production of "A Chorus Line" that I was in. As our bus rounded the corner outside of Shravanabelagola, I saw the whole cow-line shift from the center of the street to the shoulder without ever looking frazzled. They were not tied together, either. That guy is good.
In the second moment there was an impromptu event at the Temple down the block. Nobody seemed to know what it was about, but it didn't matter. Everyone enjoyed the African-Rhythm youth percussion corps, then the fireworks. These kids didn't seem to mind that everyone was just hanging around. Most youth are very entertained in getting their pictures taken, mostly so they can look at themselves. I took a dozen shots and showed everyone. This was the first one where they are kind of serious. The 'reality' seems to spiral out of the front dude and the world gets fuzzy from there. We lightened up after that. I like the way they were willing to be real with me, and were not self conscious.

--- aeryk ---

No comments: