Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Authorized!

One year of study, five years of chaos. Aeryk got one too.



















 It is official.  Aeryk and I have the full blessing of Sharath and "the Institute" to teach the Ashtanga practice.  We have studied at the Shala for a piece of every calendar year since 2006, four trips in five years.  If you look carefully at the picture, you will see above my name "Level 2".  That's sort of  like a "masters degree" instead of a 'bachelor's".  Its no Ph.d; that's called Certified.  If you look below my name it says I can teach the full Intermediate series.  That's kind of amazing to me.  A couple of years ago only Certified teachers, of whom there are really very few in the world, were allowed to teach anything beyond primary series.  Now Sharath is expanding the territory of some of his authorized teachers to include more of the practice.  I am really excited to have the level 2 designation.  The most exciting part of all for me is that Sharath has asked me to assist classes in the Shala in Mysore for one month.  Now, he asked me to assist starting in mid December until mid January.  Of course, I fly out of here on the 16th.  I know everyone back home is waiting for me...I can hardly stay here for another month!  So, painfully, I had to decline. On the bright side, Sharath says I should come back next year and I can assist then.  Soooo....I guess I'll be coming back soon.   I am grateful to Frank Groundwater who first convinced me I could go to India.  Also to Colleen Swantner, my first Ashtanga teacher, and David Garrigues, my ongoing inspiration.  I am extremely thankful for the sacrifices of all my friends, family, and students whom I lean upon extensively to make these trips possible.  It is hard to conceive of adjusting students in the same room where Guruji gave me my first Mysore backbends.  I guess I had better go home and practice!         Vivian 
             

2 comments:

Russ the Librarian said...

Congratulations on that. So, you guys are blackbelts now?

Anonymous said...

Yay! I am so thrilled for you & Aerik to have achieved your new teaching status! And what an honor that Sharath asked you to assist in Mysore. We all miss you two and excitedly await your return to Oly.
Much love,
Linda